Yesterday we looked at John 2:13-25 “Jesus Cleanses the Temple” and we discussed God’s grace in the Passover, being angry without sinning (Ephesians 4:26) the Temple and it’s message of transference to Jesus Christ, those who want a “sign” rather than a scripture, the hard truth that every man has a heart intent on evil (Jeremiah 17:9), and how the action of holy wrath on the part of our Lord is similar in a smaller scale to the wrath to be unleashed upon the wicked in the tribulation.
The most important takeaway for me from this account is the verse when Jesus states “Take these things away ; do not make my Father’s house a house of trade” (John 2:16 ESV).
I still find it intriguing that it was religious legalism – not blatant heathenism – that stirred Jesus to take such bold public action and it has me reevaluating my own attitudes toward being more proactive in reaching out to those who are blinded from the glorious grace of Calvary.
One thing is clear from John 2:13-25, and that is that each of us can and should be bold in our declarations of grace as the gospel…
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (ESV)
“For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, ‘Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.’ Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for ‘The righteous shall live by faith.'” Galatians 3:10-11 (ESV)
“I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.” Galatians 2:21 (ESV)
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes” Romans 1:16 (ESV).
- Seventh-day Worship? https://www.crosshopechapel.org/seventh-day-worship/
- Clean and Unclean Food https://www.crosshopechapel.org/clean-and-unclean-food/
- Jesus Confronts Legalism https://www.crosshopechapel.org/jesus-confronts-legalism/
- Observations for SDA’s https://www.durkac.com/former-adventist/observations-for-sdas/
- Anti-Adventist Formers https://www.durkac.com/former-adventist/anti-adventist/
- I Was Once An SDA Minister https://www.crosshopechapel.org/about-us/steve-durkac/former-adventist-group/sda-minister/