What We Believe…
CrossHope Chapel subscribes to traditional evangelical Christian theology, historical biblical interpretations, and holds to a Statement of Faith as expressed below and in our By-Laws, which governs the doctrines of our pastoral and church leadership.
1. The Bible – We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error and the infallible rule of faith and practice. The Word of God is the foundation upon which the church operates and is the basis for which the church is governed. We believe that the Word of God supersedes any earthly law that is contrary to the Holy Scriptures. (Isaiah 28:13; Nehemiah 8:8; John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2 Peter 1:3-4; 2 Peter 1:21)
2. The Trinity – We believe that there is one living and true God, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. (Genesis 1:1; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 44:8; Isaiah 44:16; Matthew 28:19-20; John 10:30; Hebrews 1:3)
3. God the Father – We believe in the person of God the Father, an infinite, eternal, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love; that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men; that He hears and answers prayer; and that He saves from sin and death all those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalms 90:2; Psalms 102:27; John 3:16; John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Titus 1:3)
4. God the Son – We believe in the person of Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings, his substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and personal, visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14; Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:23; Mark 16:19; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-2; John 8:58; John 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 1:2; Revelation 1:8)
5. God the Spirit – We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit, who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ, He indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and is an abiding helper, teacher, and guide. The supreme evidence of the Spirit filled life is the fruit of the Spirit, love. We believe in the present day ministry of the Holy Spirit in regard to the exercise of biblical gifts of the Holy Spirit according to the instructions given to us in 1 Corinthians 12-14. (Acts 1:8; 2 Corinthians 3:18; John 16:8-11; Romans 8:26; Romans 15:13; Romans 15:16; Hebrews 9:14; John 6:13, John 14:16-17; John 16:8-11; Romans 8:26)
6. Salvation – We believe that all people are sinners by nature and choice, falling short of God’s standard and breaking His commandments – and therefore are under God’s righteous judgment. Yet God saves and gives new life to all who come to Him in repentance and faith, trusting in the Person and work of Jesus Christ. At the cross, Jesus Christ died in our place as our substitute, absorbing God’s wrath that should have come upon us. Because Jesus died for the sins of the world the invitation to believe is open to all, and whoever desires may come unto Jesus for new life and the forgiveness of sins. (Romans 3:23, Acts 3:19, Acts 20:21, Ephesians 2:1-3, Ephesians 2:8-9, 1 John 2:2, John 3:16, Matthew 11:28, Revelation 22:17)
7. The Church – We believe in the universal church, the living spiritual body, of which Christ is the head and all who are born again are members of the Body of Christ. We believe in the priesthood of all believers, cooperation among believers in mission, and that men and women are created to fulfill distinct but complementary roles in the church while recognizing the pattern and principle of biblical qualified male leadership and responsibility as the ideal in the church, as in the home. (1 Peter 2:5-9; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Ephesians 4:15-16; 1 Corinthians 11:1-12, 1 Timothy 2:1-15, Ephesians 4:11-13)
8. Ordinances – We believe in the practice of two ordinances of the church, as established and set forth by the Lord Jesus Christ, to be water baptism by full immersion and the Lord’s Supper. We practice a monthly open communion for all who wish to participate and baptisms as requested by those wishing to publicly declare their personal faith in following the Lord Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:19; Luke 22:19-20; Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)
9. Eternity – We believe in a literal heaven and hell and that all those who place their faith, hope and trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord, while those who reject Jesus’ free gift of salvation will spend eternity separated from the Lord. (Psalm 9:17; Matthew 5:3; Matthew 5:22; Matthew 18:9; Matthew 25:31-34; Mark 9:42-49; Luke 12:5; John 3:18; Hebrews 12:23; 1 Peter 1:4; Revelation 14:10-11; Revelation 20:11-15)
10. Return of Christ – We believe in the return of Jesus Christ, which is His personal, visible second coming to earth and the establishment of His millennial kingdom, in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless separation of the wicked. We believe in the preceding pre-tribulation rapture of the Church where all believers will be caught-up to meet the Lord in the air prior to the tribulation wrath on earth. (Matthew 16:27; Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11-16; Revelation 20:11-15; Isaiah 26:20; Matthew 24:29-31; Luke 21:36; Romans 1:18, 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-16; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; 2 Peter 2:7-9; Revelation 3:10; Revelation 5:7-10; Revelation 7:13-14)
11. Marriage – We believe that God created man and that He created them male and female. As such He created them different so as to complement and complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between one-male and one-female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. Therefore, we recognize and perform marriage ceremonies only in accordance with the Bible consistent with the Old and New Testament. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; John 4:16-18; Romans 1:18-32; I Corinthians 5:11, I Corinthians 6:9-11; I Corinthians 6:18-20; I Corinthians 7:1-3; I Corinthians 7:8-9; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3-7; 1 Timothy 1:9-11)
12. Human Life – We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end, that the gospel is a message of life and goodness, that sin brings death and evil, and that the Great Commission of Christ is one of biblical service in the advancement of life and well-being for mankind, both physically and spiritually. (Deuteronomy 30:15; John 10:10; Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Matthew 9:35-38; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 3:23; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Position Statements/Policies – As it may become necessary for doctrinal clarification because of cultural issues or conversation within Christendom, we will issue theological position statements and ministry policies statement here. You can also visit our pastor’s blog for various doctrinal topics.